01 July, 2007

Back to the IZ

As has been the case of late, I needed to go down to the IZ to take care of some business relating to the project that I am managing. Although you need to have boots on the ground up here where the project is taking place, sometimes boots on the ground is not enough and that’s what this trip was all about.

I actually got an afternoon flight which was unusual but at least it gave me a chance to finish up on some work here at Taji, before heading south. The trip was a shorter one with only a couple of stops. I finally got to see what I usually fly over at night when I fly. There is a lot of agriculture along the Tigris which gives away to the sprawling outskirts of Baghdad, and finally the urban area where from my vantage point in the chopper you could see the everyday activities that most large cities have.

After checking into housing, this time I got the smaller (8x9) hootch, I headed off to the J-4 area to get some updates from the staff. I then had some serious discussions with the finance rep Wayne on getting the funding for the buildings that need to be refurbished, upgraded or built for this project. Additionally we worked on future purchase requirements for subsequent phases of the project. Later that day I finally got to speak with the contact folks here in the IZ. These are the guys who write up, publish the proposals, review the bids and make the contract decision. They are working on the large contract for the depot and we needed to iron out several details on the RFP.

As usual around 1900 hrs the cigars came out and I finally got a chance to speak with my boss while enjoying a nice Perdomo Reserve cigar that Col A gave me. We got a chance to discuss the latest happenings at the Depot plus do the usual small talk. He had just come back from his 15 day R&R and as with most folks who have returned was in a very good mood.

The next day I met with my Iraqi counterpart BG S and we headed off to the MOD (Ministry of Defense). My main purpose of the trip was to brief MG J on the status update of the Depot. More importantly I was there to focus on two issues which needed resolution in order to move forward with the project. I was there for at least one hour and after that visit I then briefed BG R on the project and left soon after. My counterpart remained there and I realized that was probably good news since the two BG’s were more than likely discussing the issues at hand.

I finished up a couple of more meetings and then it was time to head back to the hootch turn in my linen and catch the bird back north. The flight back was an enjoyable one and I can truly say it was nice to be back home, or better yet my home away from home!

My room is finally taking shape, I bought a new DVD player, a book shelf and my order from Fry’s with the computer desk finally came in. I was telling Carmen the three stores I miss the most are Fry’s, Home Depot and OSH. Here if you need something and the PX doesn’t have it your screwed, but thanks to the internet in 7-9 days whatever you order will arrive. I am still waiting on my fridge that I ordered from Linen and Things, once I get that I will be good to go. I will then be able to no longer use the ice chest to store my water, non-alcoholic beer and the various goodies that Carmen sent me.

No comments: