20 July, 2007

Dust and Sand Not Good For Flying

Another fun adventure down to the IZ and back and one begins to wonder does it make sense to fly during the summer season? I was supposed to have flown down on a Tuesday night, so around 1745 hours I swung by the Pax Terminal and asked if flights were still on, since it was hazy with plenty of dust in the air and a somewhat limited visibility. The PAX desk said yes that at that time all flights were a go. So I went ahead to the Generator Farm to check out some of the equipment, ate dinner, went to the hootch to pack, and came back to work and finish up on a few last minute items. By then the visibility was very limited and I knew that I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Sure enough when I got to the PAX terminal the dreaded "Weather Hold" was on the board and I knew that I was in for a long wait. So I grabbed a seat outside and tried to read as much as I could during the last few minutes of sunlight before it got dark. By the time it was dark the thermometer read 101 and I was sweating up a storm and sucking down water like it was going out of style. Lucky for me I ran into the head US Army Corp of Engineer here on post who happens to have some of his guys working the depot project. We shot the breeze and time went by quickly. After waiting over 1 1/2 hours they gave us the bad news that the flight was cancelled. I headed back inside and they were able to book me on a morning flight which was better than waiting another 23+ hours for a later one.

Back at the hootch I was dead tired so after a nice shower to clean off the grime and sweat I hit the sack in a heartbeat and was out like a rock. The next morning I went to work read some emails and back to the PAX Terminal to try my luck. Visibility was better than the previous evening but it still wasn't a clear and pristine sky. I checked in and was told "weather hold" but wasn't too concerned because you could see that the sun was making it's way through the sand and fine dust. While sitting outside in the shade I got a chance to speak with a couple of Army medics who were on their way to the IZ to take numerous biopsy and tissue samples for the Combat Support Hospital (CSH) down there to analyze and they in turn would bring back the results to our location. The one medic from Texas was on his third tour in the box and all he talked about was his upcoming 15 day R&R and how he couldn't wait to get back home to see his wife and two kids. The one good thing about flying with the military is that there are no TSA Nazis to give you a hassle regarding taking off your boots, inspecting your laptop, and Xraying your items. Hell all of us are loaded to the gills with our weapons and ammo, you see the M-4's, M-16's, M-9's, SAW's, knives, hand grenades. There is no fighting over bin space and many flights you end up with someone'g ruck or dufflebag at your feet or on your lap. It's no big deal since at times when we travelled heavy someone else held onto our stuff. Being a Colonel usually gets me the front row of the seating area of the Blackhawk which means I get a good view of the sky and some wind to boot. Since it was an early flight the air was cool and after one stop and a hot refuel where we have to get off just in case their is a fueling accident the flight was uneventful.

After landing, checking into lodging and getting the usual 8X9 foot hootch I took a shower, changed, ate lunch and grabbed the shuttle bus to go to Phoenix Base where my boss was. I did the usual stopping off at the various sections and saying hi and either turning in or picking up items that I had to take back up north with me. I enjoy the J-4 shop since I have a desk and computer to work with and the folks on the first floor by the Support Ops and LNO section are fun to hang around and make work go by quicker with their sense of humor and constant banter! Late that evening I spoke with COL A to see what part of the Depot Plan he wanted me to brief the following day, and what he was going to brief the Chief of Staff. As usual our discussion was done under the camouflage of cigar smoke outside. That evening I worked late and all I had to do the next day was update my slides, rehearse and finish up with some items that I needed to turn in. The briefing with the Chief of Staff went well and I think that the time we spent going over our project and getting his support will come in handy when it comes time for getting some funding approved for any unforecasted purchases.

While I was down there I was able to snatch about 70K liters of diesel for the Generator Farm which will come in handy, now we just have to figure out how to get it delivered to the right place. Fuel is gold and God forbid if the fuel truck happens to deliver to the wrong area like they did earlier. We had 65K that was supposed to be delivered to our depot, instead they delivered it to the supply depot and the Depot Commander refused to give it to us because "fuel is gold" and he has since then used it all up. I can't wait for the day when they run out of fuel and believe me they will run out of fuel, and come begging for some, I will get the opportunity to tell that Iraqi Colonel that he can kiss my fourth point of contact in both English, Spanish and using my usual hand and arm signals!

COL A gave me a hard time about leaving so early for the PAX terminal and started handing me a huge salami and some pistachios and cookies while joking that I would need it since I would get hungry waiting all that time for my flight! It was then time to go and pack, turn in the key and linen and head off and grab a ice latte on the way to the terminal. When I got there I was surprised at the number of passengers that were milling around waiting for a flight. I ran into a couple of 104th guys who were in the Task Force Battalion that I commanded during our Iraq Trainup in California and Ft Riley. They were heading to Diyala province where they work at supporting the Iraqi Police. Even though there were plenty of choppers landing and taking off, my flight again was put on weather hold because of the weather where I was going to land at. I expected another 1-2 hour flight delay, but a few minutes before our flight was originally scheduled to arrive, they said that the birds were on their way and before you knew it we were on our way up north. It was a non-stop flight but there was no beverage service (except for the water in my camelback in my ruck) or enternainment during the flight! :>(

Before I close a quick shout out to my fellow co-workers at Sun who shipped me two care packages with music, food, personal hygiene items, a cigar, more food, gum, etc. I really appreciated receiving the items and everything will be used. Thanks for goodies and I'll be sending some pictures soon!

That's all for now!

The Colonel

No comments: