23 June, 2007

Summertime

It's hard to believe it is already summer, I guess that means instead of highs of 112-114 the temp will works it way into the 120's! This is like the cold the difference between 112-116 is not noticeabe just like -25 to -30 isn't noticeable because at that point your frozen anyways.

I will be travelling the next couple of days so I figured I better knock out a quick blog. I was reminded the other day by the two Captains working on the satellite dish that they were not dicking around as I had said in the blog, instead they were hard at work. I agree with them especially since the following day two Colonels whose names will go unmentioned were also on the roof assisting with the satellite and I can assure you that we were not dicking around but were actually getting some work done, and the following day we were at it again and this time there is a strong signal but there are other issues that IT support is working on.

Work has been getting tougher as of late, with a staff of four of us, two Soldiers and two DA civilians working this project, we are pulled so many ways that I sometimes wish I could say the magic word at Sun IBIS hire and snap my fingers and get an additional 5-10 folks like that. Good news is that they are in the pipeline and should be arriving soon, which will be a relief to us. Besides trying to get funding approved for work that is required above and beyond what was originally planned and submitting documents for statement of works for things like guard service, life support such as DFAC's, setting up a Dept of Public Works section and getting fuel for the various power sources it's been a wild ride as of late.

I visited the 40 Jundi who will be the first group of Depot workers at boot camp the other day, and I think they were shocked that an O-6 actually went to see how training was and how they were doing. I know I always complained about living in those old WWII era barracks at Ft. Knox and Ft Riley when I went through basic and advance training. Life for us even though we thought it was miserable was better than where they were staying at. They were in 20 man tents, the AC although on full blast just couldn't get the temp down to the low 80's and with no windows except the front door it was hot and muggy inside. Soldiers being Soldiers wanted to graduate and head back to their families for a couple of weeks. They will be graduating next week and then can enjoy sometime with their families before heading back for some advanced training and then finally training at the Depot. Other than that boot camp looked like what all of have gone through during our military careers.

Last night we got the fire lit and we all sat around smoking cigars outside with a star filled sky and enjoying everyones company. One of the guys had a birthday so someone had gone to the PX and bought a frozen cake so we got to sing happy birthday and eat some darn good cake.

A quick shout out to the running gang out there in Los Gatos! Being 11 hours ahead I was able to do my Saturday run before you all did. Only did 5 miles on the treadmill and the leg was doing okay which means next week I can finally hit the roads. I miss you all on the runs and even though sometimes the Alma loop gets boring, it sure beats running on the treadmill!

That's about it for now since I am heading back to the hootch from the office since it's a little past 2200 hrs out here.

Talk to you when I get back from my travels.

The Colonel

2 comments:

roy1151 said...

Hmmm...IT issues. Is there anything I can help with to get this effing sat connection up? I've been waiting to test out the video conferencing camera....

All is well here we went on our belated "mothers day" camping trip to Pinnacles with the kids. While not "Iragi" warm it was over 90 and the pool felt great (it was in the 40's at night...Brrrrr)

We had gourmet food as always and had a glass of San Giovese in your honor. You where the topic of conversation saturday night. Good on you (as the aussies say)

Later....Viva Barca

Roy

Anonymous said...

Desgraciadamente los soldados espaƱoles ya saben lo que son las bombas que explotan al paso de los vehiculos.
ZP sigue pensando y diciendo que todo son misiones de paz......deberia ir pensando en mandar ONGs en lugar de soldados. Puede que mejor mande a todos esos actores pacifistas que siempre protestan de Irak pero se callan cuando los islamistas matan espaƱoles o se matan entre si.

Pepe