27 April, 2008

Working my Way Back to the US of A

My last day in Iraq was really uneventful which is a good way to end my tour over here. I was able to sleep in until 0700 hrs, and a little after 0800 First Sergeant Anderson came by and said that we had a 1000 hrs show time at the Air Pax terminal. We hit the PX and the EOC to check email and at check in were told that our flight would be leaving at 1400 hrs and that baggage was to be turned in at 1100 hrs.

After turning in our baggage we hit the DFAC and it was rather ironic that on my last day in Iraq I happened to eat at what was for me the best DFAC so far. It was run by the Air Force (no surprises there) and the selection of food and other entrees was really impressive and it wasn’t too congested like DFAC 1 in Taji.

At 1300 hrs we were told to be at the gate and they bussed us to the aircraft and we climbed on board the C-130 and it wasn’t too full so we had empty seats between each of us. At 1355 we were wheels up and phase II had been accomplished, getting out of Iraq!! The flight was uneventful and I got a chance to peek outside the window right about when we crosses into Kuwait airspace and all I could see was sand. It was weird knowing that 17 years earlier I was on the ground directly below with the Soldiers of A Company 701st MSB working our asses off supporting the Division in prior to, during and after combat operations. We arrived in Ali As Salem at 1515 hours and SGM Laos was waiting for us and we transferred to the bus which had the rest of the 104th folks on this serial who had flown in earlier from the IZ (BIAP).

We then boarded the bus which would take us to Camp Virginia which is basically the same type of camp as Camp Buerhing was when we arrived, both are out in the middle of the sandy desert surrounded by camels. The big difference is those of us at Camp Virginia are going home versus those Soldiers in Buerhing who are just arriving. At Camp Virginia we were bedded down in the same white style tents that we had in Buerhing, where you can sleep at least 80 guys in there but we had about 30 which wasn’t too bad. We sort of have an idea of when we will be leaving this camp for Ali Al Salem and our flight home but they have not released the final date or time. While we are here except for a couple of mandatory briefs the rest of the time is our free time so I hit the gym and did my 6 mile gig on the elliptical trainer. I then hit the internet cafĂ© to look at some of my email. Other than that the wait out mode continues and only time will tell when we get the green light for onward movement. Until then it’s chill out mode and the chance to relish the fact that we are no longer in Iraq and that life is good!

The Colonel

No comments: