21 April, 2008

One Year Anniversay

The other day 18 April was special for two reasons, one it was my birthday and this is the third birthday I have celebrated in this part of the world and if all goes well should be the last birthday I celebrate over here. Two it was one year ago that we arrived in theater and it’s hard to believe that one year has already gone by! I am officially short and by short I mean not by stature, but that I do not have much more time here before I head back home to demobilize and sleep in my own bed once again with my better half HQ-6. My replacement DJ has things under control which enables me to finish up on the last few deliverables that I have and pack my things. I am finishing up on the MTOE (Modified Table of Organization and Equipment) comparison so that we can line up the job skills that need to be trained with the Iraqi Soldiers who will be assigned to the Depot. This Tuesday will be my last meeting with the Iraqi’s and after the meeting I am officially done here at Taji.

I have started packing up my things and have already shipped some items home and another box to Ft. Riley so I don’t have to do the duffle bag shuffle on my way out of Iraq. My goal which looks attainable is to have two duffle bags and my trusty camel back backpack and that is it. We are still coordinating our flights out of here to Kuwait, where we will link up with the remaining members of the Task Force and we will then travel together back to the USA. I still have to sell my remaining items which some of the interpreters and others want to buy from me, then it will be sweep mop and get the room inspected on the last day and then it’s hasta la vista baby!!

Work has been both long and satisfying these past several weeks, we have put in some long hours as part of our left seat right seat. Also we have signed for some additional buildings, such as the South Receiving, the upstairs offices to the South Paint Bldg which will be the HQ for the South Depot. Additionally DJ signed for the security upgrades work that has been completed. Today we had another meeting with AECOM to go over their equipment purchase, receipt, install and commissioning dates and what that means as to start dates for the OJT phase in the various buildings. DJ and his crew will have their hands full with the training that starts on the 13th and getting the Iraqi Army to ensure they have new Soldiers who will be assigned to the Depot so we can ensure there are enough cheeks in the seats in the training and OJT training phases.

It’s weird knowing that some of the things that I am doing these past few days are the last time I will be doing those things here , but then again one year is a long time and I am itching to get back home. So it's time to get those medical tests and shots, fill out the various surveys, turn in items that I no longer need.

Major Young and her group hit Ft. Riley yesterday after being stranded at BIAP for 3+ days, due to two huge dust storms that reduced visibility to less than 50 feet and left a nice fine powdery layer of dust on everything. The dust storms were surreal as you could barely see the sun and everything was dark brown and the wind was doing a great job blowing the stuff all over the place. Just walking to the DFAC was a bear even with glasses on the powdery sand got in my eyes. They said this was one of the worst ones they have had in a long time, yeah I'm sure Al Gore would be blaming this on global warming!


BG Swan my senior rater having a good laugh pointing at my Tour Guide tab which I threw on at the last minute to get my picture taken with him during my last VIP visit that I was in charge of.

Well that's it for now I gotta run and grab some chow and hit the post office.

The Colonel

No comments: