09 May, 2007

There is a Running God!!

My prayers were finally answered yesterday. After 3 plus weeks of running on a treadmill I thought I was going crazy. Those of you who know me, know that I never pass up a chance to run outside regardless if it is raining or below freezing, anything to avoid the dreaded treadmill. Goretex, polypro and mud are my best friends! Unfortunately except for those couple of days in Kuwait there was no option but running inside. So the other day I catch this marine running by the embassy and flagged him down and asked if there was a running loop or course where I am staying at. He said yes and described to me the course on the dirt in front of me. So at work I checked out the map of the IZ and there it was a 1.5 mile loop. So at 0545 I headed out of the hootch and did my 3+ loops for my 5 mile fix, on the course I ran into SGT Mike the guy I ran with at Riley, we both laughed as that was his first day on the course and he had no idea where he was going. Since then it's been a daily fix and this Sunday we're planning on doing 10+ miles, it's not like running along the bay or Rancho San Antonio but it beats the hell out of the gym and with the T-Wall it keeps out some of the sun on part of the course. For me it is Mecca!

Work is definitely picking up as I am receiving more and more info on the project from the guys who were managing it. It is nice to be working with Microsoft Project Planner again, the Enact project was awful at work. I am not done yet with all the tasks but at this point there are 350+ lines. Today we went over the budget and it is larger than anything I ever did at Sun. They are finishing up on gettimg me my quarters up north, computer and vehicle. From what it looks like I will get one of those small Nissan pickups but it will only be a 2 WD not a 4X4 and tends to get stuck in the mud in winter, I guess it beats the hell out of walking! Tomorrow I get to meet the Principal Engineers on the projects boss, she is also a Colonel and here in Iraq it is essential to do office calls or at least meet face to face with the people who you will be dealing with, just in case you need to make that 911 call and get instant help or that combat multiplier to your rescue in order to stay on track or get the job done.

Last night we briefed one of the generals regarding our status of the project, Major Reeves the Aussie who is currently handling most of project did the briefing and I got to listen in and get the generals marching orders going forward. He asked if there was anything we needed and we told him that I needed an administrative NCO to help me once I head north and voila he told me to go ahead and pick one of the Soldiers at the supply depot, that was easy since I knew all of the Soldiers at that location. Friday I finally get a cellphone, that is critical since with our folks coming into theater and getting trained by the Soldiers leaving I was kicked out for good of the desk that I was using. so now it's my laptop and find a seat anywhere there is one and make it happen. It is the ultimate flex office, except there are no online reservations and as I found out the hard way rank has no privileges! :>(

I have to say happy birthday to my dad and niece both who celebrate their birthdays today 9 May. I was able to speak with both of them today, Mae wasn't to talkative this morning but according to my sister she was excited about going to school and sharing her cupcakes with her classmates on her birthday. Dad could't hear too well on the cellphone so mom served as the spokesperson, I guess they were in Iowa somewhere heading back home to Wisconsin, where they will spend their summer before snowbirding back in California.

It's been getting hotter each day this week, I think today we got up to 104 and those damn flies are starting to rear their ugly heads and are becoming a nuisance. I am lucky to be working in an air conditioned office, the walk from there to the chow hall seems like your walking in hell, sunny , super bright, the heat off the ground getting the best of you and the sun feels like it's about one foot from your head. It's funny in the morning after working out you shower then go back to the hootch change in an air conditioned room, then put on your gear to include IBA and walk over to catch the bus to work. Arrive and walk to your office, buy then you are soaked and are glad that you have poly pro on that wicks the sweat and a decent deodorant because if not watch out, thank God the French aren't here or the whole place would stink!

That's all for now, good to see the A's in first place, Betis loing again at home and
another day checked off on the calendar, but hey whose counting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's it, I'm goin' to Rancho San Antonio on your behalf this weekend! Glad to hear you found an outdoor running area, Arturo! Take care, Suzy :)