19 May, 2007

Good Day Today

Today was a day that had lots of good things occur. This morning we had our awards ceremony for the departing Soldiers and it was nice to see them get recognized for all their hard work they have done this past year.

I am pretty much up to speed with the project and what I have to do. Today I had to complete the request for submittal of funds to one of the groups that support us, so I filled out the forms, typed up the letter and walked it upstairs to get processed. At least now I know how to handle the PO aspect of the project. Later in the morning I headed over to the Ministry of Defense, tod drop off some correspondence for one of the departments that is managing the rampup of the Maintenance Depot. The building from the outside is a wonderful display of Arab architecture and reminds me of the buildings in Granada's Alhambra. But one you go inside it reminded me of the hospital in Cadiz. People milling around everywhere, smoking cigs, lots of bureaucrats and depending on your rank some rooms had AC and the others did not. After walking over and then climbing up 3 sets of stairs in full battle rattle and roaming the unconditione hallways I felt like I was in heaven when I stepped into the air conditioned office of the General. After taking care of the paperwork and enjoying their chai tea I didn't want to leave.

Back at work we heard that Tony Blair was in the IZ and over that way they had received some incoming rocket rounds near the English Embassy, makes you wonder who leaked the info to the bad guys about the visit and itiniary?

I am in the process now of getting furniture and office equipment for some of the buildings that the Iraq's will occupy un north. Unfortunately until I get boots on the ground and link up with the NCO who will be working on the project I have to do most of the tasks Rest assured as a taxpayer the Iraq's will not be sittng on $500 toilet seats like our Air Force compadres, nor will they be getting the nice 60" flat screen TV's that for some reason the PX sells over here but first of all where in the hell can you stick one of those in an 8X9 hootch and all I want is to buy a medium PT shirt and PT shorts, which of course are sold out!!

I missed cigar club tonite, as I had to finish some reports so tomorrow I'll probably link up with them and enjoy a nice cigar with the guys!

Before I go a quick shoutout to my son Javier who at last Saturdays club soccer game scored two goals and like his dad (in his younger soccer playing days) on the second goal cleverly used his butt to deflect the ball into the back of the net for his teams sixth goal! Great job Javi and a few more goals and they'll start calling you Pichi Javier !!

The Colonel

No comments: