21 April, 2007

Training and Jet Lag

Most of us have jet lag and the first couple of nights it was tough to get some decent sleep. The AC in the sleeping tent is so damn cold at night that I am glad I brought my heavier sleeping bag for now. Porta johns and combat showers (get wet, lather, rinse, get out) are the norm since water is a scarce commodity just like conservatives are in the bay area. 15 gallons per Soldier is the figure used for planning for water. We had some IED class today taught by a British Sergeant Major and the guy was funny but I swear I could only understand 50% of what he said. Yesterday we had a full day battle staff on IED's and most of it was classified and I like so many others in our group thought it was the best classroom block of instruction we have received since being mobilized. It was hot but windy so it didn't feel that bad.

Today we went out to the range and did some hands on training and maintenance on the M240B and M2 50 Cal machine guns. Then in the afternoon we did some hands on training with some Russian weapons and got to fire some AK-47's at various targets. That was fun but by the time we got back late in the afternoon the heat and jet lag was taking it's toll I must have fallen asleep a couple of times on the ride home. Ran with one of the guys after cleaning weapons tonite did about 5 miles in a balmy 82 degrees and plenty of diesel emissions from the generators. Still have to call Carmen tonite after I get off the computer reading my Army email. The next two days will be Mounted Convoy training and live fire exercise and the temps and sun will be a killer these next two days, at least the HMMWV's have AC in them. I imagine that by this time next week I will be in Iraq, so better enjoy the rest of my stay here. Good to see the A's swept the Angels and are in first place, Go A's.

No comments: