29 March, 2007

M240B Machine Gun Range

Today was our makeup day for the M240B MG, since we had the power outage issue over a week ago. This is definitely a weapon that I need in my arsenal, especially for the commute home from when I have to go to the Newark campus. Those hybrids driving 55 in the left hand lane would definitely be a thing of the past after a 10-15 round burst! ;>) Each of us got a can of 200 rounds (7.62MM) and the targets were between 500 and 800 meters in front of us. They were pop up targets which means when you hit them they drop and after the allotted time another target pops up. The 800 meter target was inop (ie. it would not fall) so we had to make due with the other targets in our lane. Both my First Sergeant SFC Bernier and I knocked down all of our targets and we really had a great time. The OC's were our spotters and they coached us and told us what we needed to do to properly engage the targets. After our entire track fired about 65 soldiers we headed back to clean the machine guns and it goes by quickly when you have an entire team of folks each working on cleaning a part. Tonite they gave us the proposed scheduled date for the Advance Party to deploy to theater. I for security reasons am unable to say when that is, but it should give us enough time to work with our counterparts who are currently in theater to grease the skids before our main body arrives on site.

Can't believe that in seven days and a wakeup my family will be here during my four day Easter Pass. The Task Force has a four day pass which for us will be the last chance to say goodbye to our families before we go wheels up into harms way. Most of the Soldiers will be going home, but several like myself have opted for the family to come out here. Having been stationed here for 4 1/2 years from June 87-Jan 92 it made sense to have them come out here. Carmen has not been here since we PCS'd to Illinois in Jan 92, Ascension barely remembers Ft. Riley and Javier was born here and baptized here on post. Additionally with Carmen being a Kansas State University grad, she wanted to see her alma mater plus give the kids a chance to see the heartland. Both Carmen and I have fond memories of Kansas and if it wasn't for the winter weather, I maybe would have taken that job offer from Pepsi Cola in Kansas City when I left the service. I have really missed all three of them these past two months and am looking forward to being together with them for the four day weekend. Obviously neither Carmen nor I are looking forward to our goodbye since this will be the second time that we will have gone through this, the last time was in Dec. 90 when the Big Red Once left for Saudi as part of Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Back then Ascension was only 4 years old and Carmen was pregnant with Javier and finishing up on her final semester at K-State.

Gotta go to bed, with wakeup at 0515 and PT at 0600 and sleeping very little plus wearing the full battle rattle all day long, I am tired and feel my 47 years! I will try to upload some of the photos from todays range tomorrow evening while I wash my laundry.

No comments: