27 March, 2007

I Finally Love Sundays!

I have always hated Sundays because for me it was sitting on a bus going back to college thinking about what I homework I should have done that weekend at home instead of blowing it off and finally facing the ugly truth that I would have to pull an all-nighter to hand it on at 0800 hrs on Monday. But it's been different here at Riley. I actually get to sleep in until 0815 and then it's off to the races as I try to shower dress and run like hell to catch the van which takes us Catholics to church for 0900 hrs service. The Lutheran's and LDS have their services later in the morning. After that it's chill out time which means catch up on reading, hit the PX (Post Exchange) or listen to some soccer games from Spain. Yesterday while I was sitting in my room updating some reports in the early evening the smell of a BBQ with mesquite sort of wafered into my room and when I stuck my head out the door it was a "hey sir do you want some food, we have plenty of it".

Although these Soldiers are logisticians, some of them can cook! SSG Noriega who is an OEF vet was grilling some chipotle chicken, SFC Dempsey who upon arriving here bought a kickass gas grill was grilling some brats and some burgers that had oyster sauce and I believe either habanero o cayenne pepper which brought plenty of tears to our eyes. A couple of other soldiers made some other entrees and between a quick run to the shoppette to pickup some salads and plenty of liquid beverages a great time was had by all. It was the perfect ending to a long week of training, and it really brought the Soldiers closer together ,great weather in the low 80's, food and drink!! I have already told SFC Dempsey that his first assignment in theater will be to find/scrounge/pilfer a grill for the crew so that we can have some's every once in awhile while enjoying all that great food and everyones favorite some non-alcoholic beer! This morning in our first class the discussion during the breaks was about the BBQ last night and when was the next one.

Well that's it for now time to close it up and hit the sack because 0515 is only about five and a half hours away, and us old timers need some rest because we can't live only on alcohol and cigars!

No comments: