06 May, 2008

Mission Accomplished-I'm Finally Home!!

The bus pulled into Camp Funston (FOB Army Strong) a little before 0500 hrs. We got off the bus and were piled into the sterile area's gym and given the first of many briefs welcoming us and what laid ahead. After the brief it was time to temporarily turn in our M4 and M9 for the day. We then were given our schedules for the upcoming three days and it was back onto the bus and we headed to our barracks where we would check in, pickup our bags and for us lucky ones meet our families.

We pulled in just about the time that light was coming up and I anxiously scanned the parking lot to see where Carmen was. Just seeing her face and smile while I waived to her from bus was worth the wait as I hadn't seen her since we said our "see you laters" in Frankfurt Germany in mid-January during my R&R.

I got off the bus and gave her a huge hug and it felt like I had never left her. After our hugs we headed over to the barracks. From the corner of my eye I saw someone drop a camera lens cap and when I looked over to tell that person they dropped the lens cap I realized it was my daughter Ascension, then my son Javier jumped from behind a car. I was shocked since I knew that Carmen was going to be at Ft. Riley, but never expected my two kids. What I found out later was that all along the kids were going to be at Ft. Riley but Carmen fed me the hook and line I bit off on it thinking that Javier was at home since he supposedly had gone to prom that weekend and his sister was home minding the house. By the time I gave them their hugs I looked up to see my parents also had showed up and this was indeed a real homecoming!!

My family and I at Ft. Riley (Mom, Javi, I, Dad, Carmen and Censi)

Another photo op with Carmen and Censi

After grabbing my bags we headed back to Manhattan for a breakfast and then to the hotel. The next couple of days went by quickly and yet slowly. That afternoon we had some more briefings, turned in our weapons for good, then it was the 1st ID welcome home ceremony at the gym. The next day starting at 0530 hrs we had our personnel and medical briefings and outprocessing. That meant more shots, tests and updating personnel records. The next day it was time to turn in our TA-50 at CIF, and as most had already said it was for me the easiest CIF turn I had ever had in my almost 30 years of being in the military. We signed our DD214's that afternoon and since I had told the Army that I needed to be home in time to attend my sons confirmation on they got me special travel so I could get out of Ft. Riley early the next day. That night in the barracks it was for most of us a last chance to say our goodbyes before we headed out the next morning. I had to catch the van at 0400 hrs which would take me to the Manhattan Airport. From there it was to Kansas City International, then through snowy Denver and finally arriving in San Jose International Airport.

At the airport Carmen, my daughter Ascension and Kathie Sylvia one of my co-workers at Sun were there for my arrival. As luck would have it only one of my bags arrived which meant someone out there in netherland was my duffle bag.

Kathie and I at the San Jose Airport

Carmen and I at the San Jose Airport

I finally arrived home around 1500 hrs and there on the garage door was a banner that my daughter had made which said "Welcome Home Dad".

Finally Home

That night after Javiers confirmation I finally got a chance to sit in my favorite recliner and that is when it really hit me that I was really home! I am still getting used to things here back home as it has been over 15 months since I left home on 25 January knowing that I would not be back until I had demobilized from this tour. I imagine that in a couple of days I will finally be able to let this sink in believe that I am home for good!

I will wrap up my blog in a couple of days with one last blog since I am still trying to grasp all that has went on in the past 15 months and what I learned from it.

The Colonel

No comments: