26 February, 2008

Broke Dick in Rainy and Muddy Taji

I should have known better. My running mileage was increasing at a decent rate, my weekly long runs were increasing by 2 miles each Sunday and I was starting to feel much better physically and realized that the Shadow Shamrock Marathon that was going to be held in Baghdad next month was just a few weeks and that a 4 hour marathon was in reach. I finished my long run the previous Sunday and felt a little sore on my left hip. On Tuesday I ran and after the run the pain in my hip was more noticeable and on Wednesday besides my hip it felt like someone had literally kicked my ass. Advil rest and no running I figured would make the pain go away. No such luck and finally yesterday I threw in the towel and decided that even Colonels have to go on sick call once and a while, so in the middle of a beautiful Taji downpour where the water and mud was already 3 inches deep off I trudged to the medical clinic. Once they saw what I was there for they sent me to the Physical Therapy building to be treated and they were right. I walked into the treatment room and there were 4 Iraqi medical Soldiers who were observing the Physical Therapist as part of their training. After a few minutes of talking and explaining what I had, the Captain had me go through some movements, asked me where it hurt and shook her head and said those three syllables that make us runners cringe, the infamous ITB (Iliotibial Band) Syndrome. It was the inflammation along the band that is causing the pain and with special stretching, anti-inflammatory medicine and low impact training this should be less noticeable in 7-10 days. So I have been doing the exercises that I was given to do, taking my medicine and yesterday did 7 miles on the elliptical trainer and the pain is less noticeable today then yesterday.

It is still raining off and on today and with the new sidewalks at least we don't have to walk in the mud, but the footing is treacherous and it feels like your walking across a hockey rink with leather soles. The weather channel here in Iraq screwed up big time yesterday, on the 10 day extended they had said it would rain in the morning, but on the short range a few days ago they no longer predicted rain. It began raining in the late morning and by lunch time this place was caked in mud and 2-3 inch deep water, with winds of over 50 mph. It moved my satellite dish enough to where I lost my signal so I guess that when it's drier on the roof I'll get to use those telecommunication skills I have learned somewhere to see if I can redirect the dish to catch the signal once again. We had a special meeting with our counterpart and their departments general from the MOD. We got a chance to discuss replacement parts, what will be going on depot wise for the next 6 months out and our upcoming Depot Tour in the US for our Iraqi counterparts. For the first time since I have been working with the Iraqi's they actually prepared us a lunch and went all out, they invited all the generals on the post and the slew of Colonels. We had a rice and vegetable dish with sweet raisins cucumbers, lamb meat, other vegetables, pita bread and desserts. Then we had my favorite Chai tea and it was back to work on a full stomach and I now know why these guys take Iraqi siestas after lunch because I sure as hell wanted too while I was fighting off the Z-monster at my desk.

Tomorrow I will be signing for another building, the transmission building in the wheel depot, which will be the first facility in the south depot that will have been completed. This will enable the Depot Integrator the ability to begin installing equipment once it arrives and they have their installers on the ground. As mentioned in my previous post the Bridge Crane issue has hit critical mass and I am working with the DCMA (Defense Contracting Management Agency) who are supporting us on the contract side of the house and QA and compliance to get me a legal review as to what options we have on who has to install what, when and based on what engineering/structural evals.

The guys in the IZ told me today what I sort have known all along and that is there currently isn't a replacement designated for me at this time. It looks like there is for Major Young, SSG Gamboa and the new NCO position that we have created, but I am the odd man out on this one. As I told my boss from day one as long as I am home to see Ascension graduate from college in mid May they can keep me here as long as they want to. The replacements for the guys at the supply depot are already here in country but are attending some mandatory training for the next 10 days, then they'll start their left seat right seat training and when that's over the supply depot folks will redeploy back to Ft. Riley then home. Since Sardina is Murphy in Spanish I more than likely will be the last 104th rep leaving Taji for home.

I have begun sorting through my things and throwing out old magazines, donating books and DVD's to the MWR facility down the road from us. I will be sending some items home so I don't have to drag 4 duffle bags through the heat of Iraq and Kuwait when I head back to the US. For those of you who are still intent on sending care packages, this next week should be the limit on sending care packages because anything after that I doubt I will be able to use and will give those to the Chaplain for him to distribute to Soldiers who have a greater need for those items and goodies. Regarding care packages, Tia Carol I still haven't received the one that you told mom that you sent two weeks ago, and Terri and Dennis I did receive the box of chocolate chip cookies and they are long gone, having been devoured as breakfast and snacks last week by me and co-workers and my expanded waistline is proof that they were very delicious!!

That's all for now as I am off to the restroom to brush my teeth before I hit the sack and am looking forward to that 40 yard walk in the slop called Taji mud!

The Colonel

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't forget that other three letter word for what ails you - a-g-e!