25 September, 2007

Just Another Sunny Day in Taji


I had just finished my 6 mile run this morning when the sun started to rise and after a mad dash to the room to grab the camera I was able to snap off this shot looking to the east. What you see in front of you is junk, trashed Iraqi Army equipment from Desert Storm and OIF piled into that area waiting to be moved and recycled. It has been rather enjoyable as of late running in the dark of the morning, as temps are now in the mid to low 70's. It's relatively quiet except for some birds that gather along the canal and are singing away, that and the hundreds of bats flying about along the trail (dirt road) make for some interesting running.

Today was one of those non-stop days. I had known that some folks from the J-3 (Operations) and J-6 (IT/Communications) were coming up to Taji but they did not send me their arrive info on the secured computer. So I went about getting as much stuff done this morning as quickly as possible because once they arrived it would be none stop discussions and tours. LTC T the J-6 arrived a little after 0900 hrs. So we discussed the internet project that I was trying to get funded so I can get connectivity, a service contract and all the hardware and software required for our headquarters bldg. We walked through the building, he picked my brain with all types of questions and options that I had available and based on my answers he will finish completing the packet with the estimated cost of the equipment. All I kept hearing was Dell this and Dell that and I reminded him that Dell wasn't the only option and what about Sun, so the wording on the bid will say Dell or other comparable brand. Hey might as well try to get some revenue going for the homeboys! Luckily for me I an not the one making the final decision on what to purchase so I can still put a plug in for Sun and not have to worry about going to Leavenworth after this tour!

The J-3, COL A and his MSGT L from the USMC called and we scheduled the inbrief and tour of the depot for 1245 hrs. He just took over as the J-3 and wanted to see the depot, so I gave him the standard brief with updates and then we went to the depot. We drove through the south depot and then stopped and checked out a couple of the buildings being worked on at the north depot. After explaining all that was going on and the coordination he was surprised that we did all that work with so few people in our shop. I reminded him that we tend to work longer hours here at the Depot than the folks down at the IZ, and because there are so few of us we tend to work closely together amongst other agencies here because if not we will fail miserably!

I had several other meetings with the Air Force guys at the RSU regarding the generator farm. SSG G was having fun at the fuel yard receiving fuel from our contractor and I am sure that I will here the adventures of what hoops he had to jump through to receive the fuel. I have asked HQ's for monies to buy a fuel meter reader for the fuel intake site so that we can have an accurate picture of what we are receiving in terms of liters, instead of dipping, measuring the tank and asking God for guidance as to what we really think we received from the contractors. The meter reader cost $8K and the finance folks (sorry Carmen) said no that it cost too much. I reminded them that it would probably pay itself in the first 4-5 deliveries by giving us the accurate amount of fuel received but they didn't want to hear it. I felt like telling them that next time we have a delivery they need to get their asses out of their chairs and air conditioned building and come down and do what we have to do, and rest assured we would get that pump FedEx'd to us quicker than a New York minute.

Sunday was my off day and I really enjoyed it. I slept in until 1000 hrs., called Carmen via Skype. Then it was clean the room and after showering go to the PX. I went in APFU (Army Physical Fitness Uniform), that PT shorts, shirt, running shoes and weapon. It was so enjoyable going incognito where no one knows who you are and not having to salute every 10 seconds. The PX folks are trying their hardest to keep the shelves filled with items especially toiletries and food, but when you have so many Soldiers it becomes a losing battle. I hit the subway sandwich shop for a late lunch, I know that back home I am not a Subway guy and would rather go to Quiznos for a sub, but when all you eat is DFAC food, that footlong Italian sub with the works sans mayo tasted pretty damn good. When I got back I read some of the magazines and then it was 1800 hours and that's when soccer starts in Spain, so I tuned into the Spanish radio station and enjoyed listening to the matches. Late that evening I opened up some of the brie and crackers and various dips that I have and enjoyed my dinner with some alcohol free beer. I was craving for a nice Pinot Noir or Chardonnay but that will have to wait a few more days until I get to Qatar for my 4 day R&R pass.

Tomorrow looks like it will be the first day since late June that the high for the day will not be in triple figures. Well it's almost 0030 hours I since I don't run on Wednesday mornings I will get an extra hour plus of shuteye which I need. Even with vitamins and working out, this job takes it's toll on you and with the heat, being constantly on the run and being multi-tasked by the end of the evening I am usually ready for the sack by 1100 hrs. That's it for now, thanks to those who have emailed me as of late, Suzy, Tom, Sheila and Brian from Sun. It's nice to hear from you all back home, keep working hard as quarter ends on Sunday and need to get that stock up there and get the bonus!! Take care and will update you all later this week.

The Colonel

No comments: